Thursday, October 31, 2013

Avicii (3) - Week of October 26, 2013

We are not heading in a good direction here, everyone.  Times are tough.  Before we get on to this week’s Fresh 45, here’s a list of all the songs we’re saying good-bye to this week:
  • Mika Ft. Ariana Grande - Popular Song
  • Phillip Phillips - Gone Gone Gone
  • Train Ft. Ashley Monroe - Bruises
  • Karmin - Acapella (DTHx2)
  • Awolnation - Sail (DTHx2)
The Countdown:


1. Avicii Ft. Aloe Blacc – Wake Me Up (#1) [3rd Week at #1]
2. Katy Perry – Roar (#2)
3. Imagine Dragons – Radioactive (#3)
4. Lady Gaga – Applause (#4)
5. Paramore – Still Into You (#7)
6. MKTO – Classic (#10)
7. Lorde – Royals (#9)
8. Olly Murs – Dance With Me Tonight (#8)
9. Capital Cities – Safe and Sound (#5)
10. Selena Gomez – Slow Down (#21)
11. Fall Out Boy – Alone Together (#11)
12. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis – Same Love (#16)
13. Taylor Swift Ft. Ed Sheeran – Everything Has Changed (#12)
14. John Newman – Love Me Again (#23)
15. Linkin Park Ft. Steve Aoki – A Light That Never Comes (#17)
16. Lana Del Rey Ft. Cedric Gervais – Summertime Sadness (#14)
17. The Mowgli's – Say It, Just Say It (#20)
18. Zedd Ft. Foxes – Clarity (#6)
19. Neighbourhood – Sweater Weather (#22)
20. Daft Punk – Get Lucky (#29)
21. The 1975 – Chocolate (#15)
22. Icona Pop – All Night (#27)
23. Hunter Hayes – I Want Crazy (#26)
24. Travie McCoy Ft. Jason Mraz – Rough Water (#13)
25. Bruno Mars – Gorilla (#31)
26. Britney Spears – Work B**ch (#32)
27. Jesse McCartney – Back Together (#28)
28. Enrique Iglesias – Heart Attack (DEBUT)
29. Imagine Dragons – Demons (#33)
30. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis – Can't Hold Us (#34)
31. Avril Lavigne – Rock N Roll (#39)
32. Robin Thicke Ft. Pharrell & T.I. – Blurred Lines (#40)
33. Katy Perry – Unconditionally (DEBUT)
34. Calvin Harris Ft. Ellie Goulding – I Need Your Love (#38)
35. New Politics – Harlem (DEBUT)
36. Krewella – Live For The Night (#36)
37. Fall Out Boy – My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'em Up) (#30)
38. Cher Lloyd – I Wish (DEBUT)
39. Wax – Rosana (DEBUT)
40. Labrinth Ft. Emeli Sande – Beneath Your Beautiful (#37)
41. Tegan & Sara – Closer (#42)
42. Maroon 5 – Love Somebody (#41)
43. Robin Thicke – Give It 2 U (#18)
44. Pink – True Love (#19)
45. Eminem – Berzerk (#25)

Biggest DDDDDDDRRROOOPPPPP!!!!!....of the week: Tie between Robin Thicke – Give It 2 U and Pink – True Love (-25)
Biggest Jump of the Week: Selena Gomez – Slow Down (+11)


As one might have guessed from my rather dour intro, we’re not looking at a great smattering of new music this week.  After Turn the Night Up, I was most certainly horrified at the prospect of another Enrique Iglesias song jumping into my life.  You don’t expect bad things to happen to you, but here we are.  Heart Attack is no disaster, but it’s relatively flavorless and will shortly descend into station-changing fodder once whatever novelty it has wears off.  My wife has turned off Wax - Rosana every time it has come on the radio, so I had to YouTube it today to actually learn what it sounds like.  Rosana is oft-obnoxious and probably about as explicitly vulgar as any music you’ll ever hear on a pop radio station.  I thought I’d over-the-top hate it (and let me be clear here, I don’t think it’s good), but I can sort of relate to why people like it (I mean, for it to appear on the countdown, supposedly someone, somewhere must like it).  It’s got a somewhat catchy hook that likely bailed it out of Bottom-5-of-2013 status.

I’ve been exposed to a lot of Katy Perry’s new album, and it unfortunately looks like Roar is going to the best of the bunch.  Sorry folks.  On Hits-1, she mentioned Unconditionally being her favorite song off of Prism.  So at least one person likes it.  Unconditionally is remarkably bland...the quality of Katy Perry’s natural singing voice is easily the weakest aspect of her music, and this song is built off of showcasing it.  Given her complete lack of ability to perform any of her songs live at anywhere near album-quality, I truly pity anyone in the audience when she belts this one out in concert.

Cher Lloyd – I Wish is going to give the wrong idea to a lot of impressionable young people.  But I suppose the headline: “BREAKING: Pop Music Star Not a Good Role Model” won’t blow a lot of minds.  As far as a “how does it sound” perspective goes?  Actually not too bad at all.  But those lyrics are pretty much prohibitive to me giving it any sort of endorsement.  I probably like New Politics – Harlem the best out of any of the new entrants, as it’s been running through my head for most of this week, but look around….is this really any sort of compliment?

Blurbs of Engagement

- I could get used to this whole Robin Thicke – Give It 2 U fading from existence thing.  Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.  Or do.  I don’t care.

- In other “good riddance” news, Eminem – Berzerk slipped all the way to #45. 

- I’m seriously (::yawn::) bored….this entire list needs an overhaul at this point.  And we’re...uh...ummm.

- Selena Gomez – Slow Down entered the Top 10 for the first time this week, which uh…reflects a…flects a….uh…..323dfselfj2iho2

(::audible snoring::)

Editor’s Picks – Top 5 Songs
1) 2oi3jaof32kjf’23fsdfasdf
2) 2hoiuf2f3foi;23’1132prw2
3) ijkdslfakjdsvndvavfsadfa
4) aflkj;sfa’wefwearw23rfs
5) 43-itop;gtalkg;sfdsadfadsf

7 comments:

  1. Excuse me. But I can't read your Editor's Picks. (By the way, Wax – Rosana is definitely going to be in my Bottom 5 Songs of 2013.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did the Editor Picks like that on purpose because he is sick of all the songs on the countdown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see. I don't think he likes the fact that Train ft. Ashley Monroe – Bruises and Karmin – Acapella left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, Dylan. I like your blog with the Top 40 songs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Adrian! I've been doing the list for many years now but just this year I began blogging them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way Dylan, if you haven't already you should check out my blog of the Sirius XM Hits 1 Weekend Countdown at www.siriusxmhits1weekendcountdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete