Friday, November 8, 2013

Katy Perry (6) - Week of November 2, 2013

Bit of a transition week here.  Not much going on, but some big changes look to be on the horizon, and that’s more than welcome.  Before we get on to this week’s Fresh 45, here’s a list of all the songs we’re saying good-bye to this week.
  • Eminem - Berzerk
The Countdown:

1. Katy Perry – Roar (#2) [Sixth Week at #1]
2. Avicii Ft. Aloe Blacc – Wake Me Up (#1)
3. Lorde – Royals (#7)
4. Lady Gaga – Applause (#4)
5. Capital Cities – Safe and Sound (#9)
6. Calvin Harris Ft. Ellie Goulding – I Need Your Love (#34)
7. Paramore – Still Into You (#5)
8. Olly Murs – Dance With Me Tonight (#8)
9. Imagine Dragons – Radioactive (#3)
10. MKTO – Classic (#6)
11. Fall Out Boy – My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'em Up) (#37)
12. Selena Gomez – Slow Down (#10)
13. John Newman – Love Me Again (#14)
14. Linkin Park Ft. Steve Aoki – A Light That Never Comes (#15)
15. Icona Pop – All Night (#22)
16. The Mowgli's – Say It, Just Say It (#17)
17. Katy Perry – Unconditionally (#33)
18. Wax – Rosana (#19)
19. Avril Lavigne – Rock N Roll (#31)
20. Neighbourhood – Sweater Weather (#19)
21. Daft Punk – Get Lucky (#20)
22. Cher Lloyd – I Wish (#38)
23. Travie McCoy Ft. Jason Mraz – Rough Water (#24)
24. Fall Out Boy – Alone Together (#11)
25. Lana Del Rey Ft. Cedric Gervais – Summertime Sadness (#16)
26. Bruno Mars – Gorilla (#25)
27. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis – Same Love (#12)
28. Taylor Swift Ft. Ed Sheeran – Everything Has Changed (#13)
29. Enrique Iglesias – Heart Attack (#28)
30. Jesse McCartney – Back Together (#27)
31. Labrinth Ft. Emeli Sande – Beneath Your Beautiful (#40)
32. Robin Thicke Ft. Pharrell & T.I. – Blurred Lines (#32)
33. One Direction - Story Of My Life (DEBUT)
34. New Politics – Harlem (#35)
35. Zedd Ft. Foxes – Clarity (#18)
36. Hunter Hayes – I Want Crazy (#23)
37. Britney Spears – Work B**ch (#26)
38. Maroon 5 – Love Somebody (#42)
39. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis – Can't Hold Us (#30)
40. Imagine Dragons – Demons (#29)
41. Tegan & Sara – Closer (#41)
42. Pink – True Love (#44)
43. Robin Thicke – Give It 2 U (#43)
44. The 1975 – Chocolate (#21)
45. Krewella – Live For The Night (#36)

Biggest DDDDDRRRRROOOOPPPP!!!!....of the week: The 1975 – Chocolate (-23)
Biggest Jump of the Week: Calvin Harris Ft. Ellie Goulding – I Need Your Love (+28)

The lone new entrant is from a group putting their 7th song on the countdown since November of 2011, One DirectionStory of My Life is one of their better ones, they strayed from the typical “boy band” sound and actually cooked in some decent instrumentals.  When I first heard it, I was disappointed, but I think that’s mostly because this is a group that’s conditioned me for that particular emotion since the heights of What Makes You Beautiful.

Breaking Blurb

- Even Spyder Harrison’s call-in guest DJ acknowledged how ridiculous it was that I Need Your Love made it’s huge leap back into the Top 10

- It looks like we’re not far away from Lorde – Royals taking over the countdown, though I’ve been wrong about such impressions before.

- Fall Out Boy – My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light ‘em Up) made just as ridiculous a leap as I Need Your Love.  I really don’t want to dislike that song, but Hits-1 is making that goal increasingly difficult

- I genuinely had a very pleasant experience listening to HitBound this past weekend….there’s some decent stuff that could make the jump in the next couple weeks.  Maybe it was refreshing to hear something new and interesting for a change.  Then again, maybe it’s not the “new”-ness of it all that was refreshing….after all, there’s been a relatively decent rate of turnover on the countdown lately.

- We’ve entered November and there haven’t been any over-the-top spectacular songs on the countdown in 2013…..it certainly seems at this point that my #1 song of the year will dip in quality for the 2nd straight year, but who knows what the rest of this month has in store.  I also go on a major listening binge towards the end of the year to make sure I’ve got my rankings right, and sometimes that makes me realize the hidden value of some of the stuff you see here.

Editor’s Picks – Top 5 Songs
1) Hunter Hayes – I Want Crazy
2) Imagine Dragons – Demons
3) MKTO – Classic
4) Avril Lavigne – Rock and Roll
5) New Politics - Harlem

6 comments:

  1. My top 5 are:

    1: Enrique Iglesias - Heart Attack
    2: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us
    3: New Politics - Harlem
    4: Linkin Park Ft. Steve Aoki - A Light That Never Comes
    5: Imagine Dragons - Demons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top 5 Most Annoying Songs (because of overplay or just a bad song)
    1) My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark- Fall Out Boy
    2) I Need Your Love- Calvin Harris ft. Ellie Goulding
    3) Rosana- Wax
    4) Closer- Tegan & Sara
    5) Get Lucky- Daft Punk ft. Pharrell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Closer and I Need Your Love are just terrible.

      Delete
    2. I like I Need Your Love. But I don't like Closer. And the only time I hear Closer on the radio is when it is its turn on the Weekend Countdown.

      Delete
  3. What's up with I Want Crazy- Hunter Hayes & Demons- Imagine Dragons dropping to the back of the pack like that?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Bottom 5 so far
    5. Bruno Mars – Gorilla
    4. Robin Thicke – Give It 2 U
    3. Katy Perry – Roar
    2. Katy Perry – Unconditionally
    1. Wax – Rosana

    ReplyDelete