Thursday, December 5, 2013

Katy Perry (7) - Week of November 30, 2013

In a move designed to make the show as unentertaining as possible, Britney Spears guest-hosted the Thanksgiving Weekend Countdown, and I bet it will be a total shock to you all to learn that she was monotone, robotic, and generally completely and totally awful at it.  As one might expect from a short week (the countdown began airing Thursday) and a guest host, no songs leavin’ the countdown this week.

The Countdown:

1. Katy Perry – Roar (#4) [Seventh Week at #1]
2. Avicii Ft. Aloe Blacc – Wake Me Up (#2)
3. Olly Murs – Dance With Me Tonight (#6)
4. Imagine Dragons – Demons (#3)
5. Lady Gaga – Applause (#7)
6. Lorde – Royals (#5)
7. Selena Gomez – Slow Down (#10)
8. Paramore – Still Into You (#34)
9. Pitbull Ft. Ke$ha - Timber (#16)
10. Fall Out Boy – My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'em Up) (#11)
11. Armin van Buuren Ft. Trevor Guthrie - This Is What It Feels Like (#14)
12. Neighbourhood – Sweater Weather (#15)
13. Eminem Ft. Rihanna - The Monster (#12)
14. Hunter Hayes – I Want Crazy (#13)
15. Travie McCoy Ft. Jason Mraz – Rough Water (#18)
16. Katy Perry – Unconditionally (#17)
17. Panic! At The Disco - Miss Jackson (#28)
18. Zedd Ft. Hayley Williams - Stay the Night (#9)
19. MKTO – Classic (#8)
20. Flo Rida - How I Feel (#39)
21. One Direction - Story Of My Life (#20)
22. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis – White Walls (#43)
23. Fall Out Boy – Alone Together (#1)
24. Wax – Rosana (#41)
25. Linkin Park Ft. Steve Aoki – A Light That Never Comes (#22)
26. Enrique Iglesias – Heart Attack (#29)
27. OneRepublic - Counting Stars (#24)
28. Lady Gaga Ft. R. Kelly - Do What U Want (#21)
29. The Mowgli's – Say It, Just Say It (#19)
30. Serebro - Mi Mi MI (#34)
31. Imagine Dragons – Radioactive (#36)
32. Robin Thicke Ft. Pharrell & T.I. – Blurred Lines (#33)
33. Capital Cities – Safe and Sound (#30)
34. Calvin Harris Ft. Ellie Goulding – I Need Your Love (#37)
35. New Politics – Harlem (#26)
36. John Newman – Love Me Again (#27)
37. Pink – True Love (#42)
38. Zedd Ft. Foxes – Clarity (#45)
39. Maroon 5 – Love Somebody (#32)
40. Icona Pop – All Night (#23)
41. The 1975 – Chocolate (#38)
42. Lana Del Rey Ft. Cedric Gervais – Summertime Sadness (#25)
43. Bruno Mars – Gorilla (#44)
44. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis – Can't Hold Us (#31)
45. Cher Lloyd – I Wish (#40)

Biggest DDDDRRRROOOPPPP!!!!....of the week: Fall Out Boy – Alone Together (-22)
Biggest Jump of the Week: Paramore – Still Into You (+26)

A Blurb in the Hand Is Worth Two in the Bush

- Pitbull Ft. Ke$ha – Timber snuck into the Top 10 in just its third week on the countdown

- I never in a million years would have expected Olly Murs – Dance With Me Tonight, the song that randomly had a 1-week stint on the countdown back in April, 2012, would be #3 on the countdown in December, 2013.  Just curious, has anyone actually heard this song in a forum other than Hits-1?  How this is ranked 3rd and like, Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball is nowhere to be seen makes me wonder who really pulls the chains in determining which songs get to break into the Hits-1 rotation.  Because it’s pretty clear that it’s not rooted completely in “which songs are currently biggest in North America.”

- I expect a good amount of new entrants next week, though for purposes of year-end rankings, they might need to be deferred until 2014, depending on how long they’ve been around.

- I’d like to see Daughtry – Waiting for Superman to hit the countdown….that guy can flat out sing.

- Hits-1 is conducting a variety of “Best of” polls on their website for the year….if you feel so compelled, I’d hop on over to their website (http://www.siriusxm.com/hits1) and participate

Editor’s Picks – Top 5 Songs
1) Hunter Hayes – I Want Crazy
2) Pitbull Ft. Ke$ha – Timber
3) Zedd Ft. Hayley Williams – Stay the Night
4) Lady Gaga Ft. R Kelly – Do What U Want
5) Imagine Dragons - Demons

28 comments:

  1. Has any other song ever fell out of #1 like Alone Together did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the biggest drop for a #1 that I can remember, but I've only tracked prior week ranks for about two years. It's the furthest a #1 has fallen in those two years, though.

      Delete
  2. What are your favorite songs of 2010, 2009, and 2008.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I re-entered the pop music universe (read: acquired Sirius radio) somewhere around the middle of 2009, so I don't know how easy it is for me to really give a well-defined answer on that. Some of my favorites from '09/'10 were Miley Cyrus - Party in the U.S.A., Jay Sean - Down, Lady Gaga - Telephone, Ke$ha - Tik Tok, Eminem Ft. Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie, Taio Cruz - Break Your Heart, Owl City - Fireflies, and Daughtry - Life After You. I don't think I've really thought about it too much in depth, though. My favorite song that's aired on Hits-1 from 2009 -> present day is Daughtry - September, but it stalled on HitBound and never made it to the countdown.

      Delete
    2. Cool. My favorites of each year from 2010 are:
      '10: Taio Cruz - Break Your Heart
      '11: The Script - Nothing
      "12: Ed Sheeran - The A Team
      "13: So many good ones! My two favorites are Panic! At the Disco - Miss Jackson and Thirty Seconds To Mars - Conquistador.

      Delete
    3. I love The Script - Nothing -- that's another great one

      Delete
    4. My Favorites are:
      2010: Eminem/Rihanna – Love The Way You Lie
      2011: JTX – Love In America
      2012: Kelly Clarkson – Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
      2013: Linkin Park/Steve Aoki – A Light That Never Comes

      Delete
  3. I think I know what this weekend's debuts and exits will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. I believe the exits are:
      • The 1975 – Chocolate
      • Bruno Mars – Gorilla
      • Cher Lloyd – I Wish

      And I believe the debuts are:
      • Ellie Goulding – Burn
      • Rihanna – What Now
      • The Wanted – We Own The Night

      Delete
    2. You were right with the exits, I'll check on the entrants.

      Delete
    3. Wow, you were right! How did you do that?

      Delete
    4. If you go to the Hits 1 homepage (www.siriusxm.com/hits1), and go to the section where it says Vote For The Wutchuwant Countdown. It shows the songs on the Weekend Countdown. The way it is now is how it was on Thursday. :)

      Delete
  4. When will HAIM - The Wire hit the countdown! I Really like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And right after I posted that, A Great Big World - Say Something came on on Hit-Bound. Am I the only one who hates that song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it too. But I also don't like Haim – The Wire.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Olly Murs – Dance With Me Tonight for reaching #1 this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Top 5 Picks On The Weekend Countdown are:
    1. Linkin Park ft. Steve Aoki – A Light That Never Comes
    2. John Newman – Love Me Again
    3. The Wanted – We Own The Night
    4. Enrique Iglesias – Heart Attack
    5. New Politics – Harlem
    (Armin van Buuren ft. Trevor Guthrie – This Is What It Feels Like is secretly #6)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And My Top 5 Picks On Hit-Bound are:
    1. Midnight Red – Hell Yeah
    2. Sara Bareilles – Brave
    3. Lorde – Team
    4. Goldhouse – Feel Good
    5. Bastille – Pompeii

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Top 5 on the countdown are:
    1) I Want Crazy- Hunter Hayes
    2) Demons- Imagine Dragons
    3) Royals- Lorde
    4) The Monster- Eminem ft. Rihanna
    5) Timber- Pitbull ft. Ke$ha
    Counting Stars- One Republic & Roar- Katy Perry are next!

    BTW I just posted the Top 100 of 2013 on my blog so check it out! http://todaystophitstop40.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. My bottom 5 are:
    1) Rosana- Wax
    2) Say It, Just Say It- The Mowgli's
    3) Safe & Sound- Capital Cities
    4) Mi Mi Mi- Serebro
    5) I Need Your Love- Calvin Harris ft. Ellie Goulding

    I really am sick of My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark as well! I used to love it but Hits 1 has ruined it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 5 Songs I Find Most Annoying Are (In No Particular Order):
      1. Wax – Rosana
      2. Fall Out Boy – My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)
      3. Capital Cities – Safe and Sound
      4. Zedd ft. Foxes – Clarity
      5. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – White Walls

      Delete
    2. I love White Walls! How don't you!?!?!

      Delete
    3. same, White Walls is great!

      Delete
    4. I really don’t like White Walls. Sorry.

      Delete
  11. Top 5 Hit-Bound Songs:
    1) Team- Lorde
    2) Say Something- A Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera
    3) Brave- Sara Bareilles
    4) The Wire- Haim
    5) Dance Apocalyptic- Janelle Monae
    Pompeii- Bastille & Pumping Blood- NONONO are really good too!

    I would like to see Better Together- Fifth Harmony debut on Hit-Bound and the Countdown. Anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Bottom 5 Hit-Bound Songs Are:
    5. Cash Cash – Take Me Home
    4. Haim – The Wire
    3. NONONO – Pumpin’ Blood
    2. A Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera – Say Something
    1. AJR – I’m Ready

    ReplyDelete