Friday, August 2, 2013

Imagine Dragons (4) - Week of July 27, 2013

On the plus side I don’t have as much work to do as last week, but on the minus side, this week can’t hold a candle to the awesomesauce that was the previous weekend’s countdown.  Before we get on to this week’s Fresh 45, here’s a list of all the songs we’re saying good-bye to this week.
  • Ariana Grande - The Way
  • Michael Buble - It's a Beautiful Day
  • Demi Lovato - Heart Attack
The Countdown:

1. Imagine Dragons - Radioactive (#1) [Fourth Week at #1]
2. Robin Thicke ft. Pharrell and T.I. - Blurred Lines (#2)
3. Fall Out Boy - My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light 'em Up) (#5)
4. Zedd Ft. Foxes - Clarity (#4)
5. Pink Ft. Nate Reuss - Just Give Me a Reason (#7)
6. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us (#6)
7. Maroon 5 - Love Somebody (#3)
8. Calvin Harris Ft. Ellie Goulding - I Need Your Love (#8)
9. Capital Cities - Safe and Sound (#13)
10. Ke$ha Ft. will.i.am - Crazy Kids (#14)
11. Florida Georgia Line - Cruise (#17)
12. Bruno Mars - Treasure (#15)
13. Paramore - Still Into You (#24)
14. Jason Derulo - The Other Side (#10)
15. Avril Lavigne - Here's to Never Growing Up (#11)
16. Daft Punk - Get Lucky (#18)
17. Emblem 3 - Chloe (#16)
18. The 1975 - Chocolate (#28)
19. Cody Simpson - Pretty Brown Eyes (#36)
20. Sammy Adams Ft. Mike Posner - LA Story (#35)
21. Twenty One Pilots - Holding On To You (#33)
22. MKTO - Classic (#38)
23. Nikki Williams - Glowing (#20)
24. Train Ft. Ashley Monroe - Bruises (#40)
25. Selena Gomez - Come & Get It (#9)
26. JTX - Summer Lover (#26)
27. Karmin - Acapella (#31)
28. Olly Murs - Troublemaker (#25)
29. The Summer Set - Boomerang (#19)
30. Pink - True Love (DEBUT)
31. Tegan & Sara - Closer (#43)
32. Hot Chelle Rae - Hung Up (#32)
33. Labrinth Ft. Emeli Sande - Beneath Your Beautiful (#44)
34. Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven (#45)
35. fun. - Some Nights (#42)
36. Ke$ha - Die Young (#27)
37. Anna Kendrick - Cups (#22)
38. Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child (#39)
39. One Direction - Best Song Ever (DEBUT)
40. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop (#41)
41. Mika Ft. Ariana Grande - Popular Song (DEBUT)
42. Icona Pop - I Love It (#12)
43. Awolnation - Sail (#21)
44. Classified Ft. David Myles - Inner Ninja (#23)
45. Kelsi Luck - That's What I Like (#37)

Biggest DDDDDDRRRROOOOOPPPPP!!!!....of the week: Icona Pop – I Love It (-30)
Biggest Jump of the Week: Cody Simpson – Pretty Brown Eyes (+17)

Time to dive straight in to this decidedly sub-par class of new entrants.  I am not sure what 15-year old girl Pink yanked out of class at the local high school to write the lyrics to True Love, but I am most certainly jealous of that girl.  I can safely say that I never did anything that cool when I was 15.  It could not be any more clear that she had nothing to do with the lyrics to Just Give Me a Reason.  The title to One Direction – Best Song Ever is blatant false advertising and I want my money back.  That’s right, I demand my money back for the percentage of time that Hits-1 is airing that song over the course of my annual subscription.  When I get my check for $0.21 in the mail, I am going to be one happy camper.  Best Song Ever is quite ironically the worst song that One Direction has put on the countdown.  Harsh?  Heh…when you title your song as such, you are quite literally begging for this sort of criticism.

Mika Ft. Ariana Grande – Popular Song is the best new entrant, which is sort of like being the best player on the Charlotte Bobcats.  Popular Song is basically the same as Kemba Walker.  Who knew?  There’s really not all that much to see here, but for the time being, Popular Song’s catchiness will make it quite tolerable.  I expected worse upon seeing Ariana Grande associated with this.

Them’s Fightin’ Blurbs

- Speaking of Ariana Grande, The Way lasted a relatively painless 6 weeks on the countdown and has now taken its exit.  Good riddance to bad music.

- I honestly thought we were in the process of ridding the top of the countdown of May/June’s Holy Triumvirate, but mercy….it’s almost August and there they are at #3, #5, and #6.  Let’s fix this, eh?

- 5 of last weeks 7 new entrants jumped 12 spots or more, and we’ve got a nice clump of all seven of them in a span of 9 songs between #19 and #27.  I hereby declare that cherry-picked cluster the Best Section of the Countdown.  When I am listening to Hits-1 at this point, I’m just holding out hope that they spin one member of the Class of July 20, 2013.  Well okay, Pretty Brown Eyes I can take or leave.

- I know I’m late to the party about mentioning this, but apparently Emblem 3 – Chloe was written about Khloe Kardashian.

Editor’s Picks – Top 5 Songs
1) Train – Bruises
2) Karmin – Acapella
3) MKTO – Classic
4) JTX – Summer Lover
5) Twenty One Pilots – Holding On To You

No comments:

Post a Comment