Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ke$ha (4) - Week of January 26, 2013


I guess that “get this finished early in the week” initiative of mine kinda crapped out a little bit.  Sorry ‘bout that.  No songs leavin’ the countdown this week.  Sorry ‘bout that too.

The Countdown:

1. Ke$ha - Die Young (#1) [Fourth Week at #1]
2. Lumineers - Ho Hey (#6)
3. Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble (#5)
4. fun. - Some Nights (#2)
5. Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven (#7)
6. Pink - Try (#13)
7. Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child (#9)
8. Imagine Dragons - It's Time (#35)
9. Kelly Clarkson - Catch My Breath (#3)
10. Maroon 5 - Daylight (#4)
11. Pitbull - Don't Stop The Party (#11)
12. The Script Ft. will.i.am - Hall of Fame (#8)
13. Olly Murs - Troublemaker (#10)
14. Justin Timberlake Ft. Jay-Z - Suit and Tie (#36)
15. JTX - Seven Day Weekend (#12)
16. Redfoo - Bring Out the Bottles (#32)
17. Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks (#20)
18. will.i.am Ft Britney Spears - Scream and Shout (#19)
19. Phil Phillips - Home (#26)
20. Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop (#23)
21. Owl City Ft. Carly Rae Jepsen - Good Time (#45)
22. Calvin Harris Ft. Florence Welch - Sweet Nothing (#17)
23. One Direction - Little Things (#15)
24. Passion Pit - Take a Walk (#37)
25. Sam and the Womp - Bom Bom (#14)
26. Neon Trees Ft. Kaskade - Lessons In Love (#24)
27. Justin Bieber Ft. Nicki Minaj - Beauty and a Beat (#25)
28. Ke$ha - C'mon (#22)
29. Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire (#28)
30. Maroon 5 - One More Night (#16)
31. Conor Maynard Ft. Ne-Yo - Turn Around (#34)
32. Carly Rae Jepsen- Call Me Maybe (#33)
33. Flo Rida - I Cry (#30)
34. The Ready Set - Give Me Your Hand (#29)
35. Josh Baze - She's Gold (#21)
36. Emeli Sande - Next to Me (#39)
37. Karmin- Brokenhearted (#31)
38. OneRepublic - Feel Again (#41)
39. One Direction - Live While We're Young (#40)
40. Bridgit Mendler - Ready or Not (#27)
41. Ed Sheeran - The A Team (#43)
42. Nicki Minaj - Va Va Voom (#42)
43. Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa- Payphone (#38)
44. Carly Rae Jepsen - This Kiss (#18)
45. Ne-Yo - Let Me Love You (#44)

Biggest DDDDDDDRRRRROOOPPPP!!!!...of the week: Carly Rae Jepsen – This Kiss (-26)
Biggest Jump of the Week: Imagine Dragons – It’s Time (+27)
It’s always a disappointment when we’ve got nothing new to discuss, isn’t it?

Blurbsauce

- The big story this week is Lumineers – Ho Hey at #2.  Most people I talk to really like this song, and rightfully so.  But LOVE it?  I would have never expected this song to be knocking on the door of #1.  Not that I’m complaining, because I consider it a good thing whenever any good songs are populating the top of the countdown, regardless of whether I think they are worthy of superlative praise.  I’m just a little surprised, that’s all.

- The big resurgence from Imagine Dragons – It’s Time sort of allowed the 22-spot jump of Justin Timberlake Ft. Jay-Z – Suit and Tie to fly under the radar a little bit.  I am really starting to fear that this song is going to become a “thing”.  It’s far from horrible, but it’s pretty disinteresting and I think the only reason it’s getting so much attention is because ZOMG JT!!!!!!!!!!!!  Many songs burn out after the traditional 2nd week boost, and hopefully that’s the path this song will take.  But I doubt it given all the love it’s getting elsewhere.

- When Pink – Try debuted, I mentioned that I wasn’t really sure what to think about it, but I’ve decided that I like it a good deal.  I think that the few piano notes that intermittently repeat during the song add quite a bit to it.  I don’t want to attribute all that much to Pink’s singing because there’s clearly heavy AutoTune involvement, but regardless, the end product sounds good, even if I don’t buy for a second that she could repeat the performance live.  Then again, this is pop music.  I should be grading on a curve in that department.

- I don’t know what it is about Bruno Mars, but I can’t get on board with Locked Out of Heaven in the Top 5.  I guess most people must like his voice more than I do.  Then again, I shouldn’t complain too much, because far worse songs of his have gotten far more attention on this countdown……so far.

- The whole Kelly Clarkson – Catch My Breath at #3 thing kinda fizzled out quick.

- I’m concerned about Ke$ha – C’mon dropping 6 spots.  I understand that Hits-1 has no intention of putting that song in the Top 10 as long as Die Young is up there, so I’m hoping that they’re just waiting for Die Young to run its course.  It took Die Young a long time to reach #1 after its debut, so maybe patience on this one is the right course.

- People who enjoy Pitbull – Don’t Stop The Party: please identify yourselves.  I understand if you are too embarrassed to come forward.  It has no business hovering in Top-10 territory.  So let’s treat it as such.

Editor’s Picks – Top 5 Songs
1) Ke$ha – C’mon
2) Macklemore Ft. Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop
3) Kelly Clarkson – Catch My Breath
4) Passion Pit – Take a Walk
5) Pink - Try


No comments:

Post a Comment